Thursday, February 25, 2010

Billy, Elton, Clive and Steve

On April 6, 1990 I went to my first Billy Joel concert. My friend had an extra ticket and invited me to go. I only went because I had nothing better to do and it was free. I fell in love with Billy Joel that night. Since that concert 20 years ago, I have never come close to loving any musician as much as I love Billy Joel. His voice mesmerizes me. For years I have had a reoccurring dream that I'm standing just a few feet from him, listening to him sing and play his piano. For ten minutes last week, my dream became a reality. And reality was a million times better than all of my repetitive dreams.

Billy Joel and Elton John were coming to town on Friday, February 19th for their Face2Face Tour concert. I wanted to buy tickets when they went on sale back in the fall but, for various reasons, I never did: the tickets were really expensive, I couldn't find anyone to go with me that wanted to spend that much money, I had already seen Billy Joel in concert 5 times including seeing him with Elton John in Portland and finally, the venue (The Energy Solutions Arena) doesn't have a very good sound system for concerts (I saw Billy Joel there in 1998 and the sound was horrible and I swore I would never go to another concert there again - even if it was Billy Joel.)

Despite all of my reasons for initially not buying tickets, I had regretted that decision as the concert date approached. A week before the concert, I went on-line to buy tickets but the only seats available were behind the stage. I definitely didn't want to sit behind the stage. Once again, I didn't buy tickets. I couldn't believe I wasn't going.

The day before the concert, a series of small, unbelievable events happened.

I was working at the dental office. It wasn't my regular day to work. I was filling in for someone that was on maternity leave. The phone rang and I was the lucky one to take the call. The caller introduced himself and said that he was with the Elton John tour (I knew that meant the Billy Joel tour, too!) There was a crew member that needed to see a dentist ASAP. Another crew member had referred him to our office. Of course, I accommodated him and set the appointment for Clive Franks to see Dr. Tidwell later in the afternoon.

Lisa, Dr. Tidwell's hygienist, and I were plotting a way to casually ask Clive for concert tickets. I knew I would feel really awkward and was hoping Lisa would be the one to ask him for the tickets for us.

Clive came in at 1:30 and asked for me. He thanked me for scheduling him on such short notice. He was really friendly and had a fabulous English accent. I didn't have the nerve to ask him for tickets. He filled out his paperwork and Dr. Tidwell's assistant took him back to have his tooth fixed. I was hoping Dr. T or the assistant would ask him for tickets. They didn't. Lisa was busy with other patients and didn't ask for tickets.

When Clive was finished, he stopped at my desk to pay his bill. He was really personable and we chatted for several minutes. He talked about living in New Zealand, his wife, kids, traveling at his age (60) and how it takes a toll. Neither one of us mentioned the concert. He paid his bill and had his hand on the door to leave. I smiled at him and knew I was just going to let him walk out without asking him for tickets. Just then, Charisse, one of the women I work work with that was sitting next to me said, "Kathy is a big fan. Do you know if there are any tickets left for the concert?" I loved Charisse at that moment! He said he didn't know because he didn't handle the tickets but he would check with Steve. He said they always hold back seats and he would talk to Steve about it. I wrote down my name and phone number for him and later realized I only wrote down my home phone number - and didn't even include the area code. My mom was at my house and I called her to tell her to answer the phone if it rang because it might be someone calling to give me concert tickets. By the time I got home from work at 6:00, there had been no phone call. My mom went home and the rest of us were supposed to go to Ethan's cub scout pack meeting. I left Adam at home with strict instructions to answer all phone calls and if it was someone for me, to give them my cell phone number. There was no call.

Friday morning, the day of the concert, I knew there wasn't going to be a phone call. I had a million errands to run. I was confidant no one would call about tickets and so I left the house. I got home at 12:30 and checked my messages. No phone call. At 12:50, the phone rang.

"Hello?"
"Hi, is this Kathy?"
"Yes."
"This is Steve with Elton John."
"Hi, Steve!" (trying to suppress my extreme giddiness!)
"Thanks for taking such good care of Clive yesterday.
  He really liked your office."
"He was great and I enjoyed meeting him."
"I've set you up with two passes for tonight's concert.
The best I could do for you is to have you sit with
Clive and some of the crew."

After that, I don't really remember too much except that I stopped trying to hide my giddiness. I think my voice may have even wavered, trying to stop myself from crying tears of joy!

Steve gave me his cell phone number and told me to arrive outside the arena by 7:00 p.m. and then call him and he would send someone to get me. He was beyond nice when he was talking to me. I remember repeating his phone number twice - I was terrified I was writing it down wrong and he would be gone forever.

I called Jeff and my mom. I was screaming and shaking and happier than I ever thought possible. I didn't even care where the seats were. I was so excited to be going to the concert. I called Lisa to tell her we were going to the concert and we screamed together!

Lisa and I decided to get Clive and Steve a little thank-you gift. Jeff took a break from work and walked over to The Gateway to get them each a little box of chocolates from Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory and a Starbucks gift card.

Lisa and I arrived at the arena at 6:45. We called Steve. He told us to go to Will Call and someone would come and get us. Ten minutes later a girl came and introduced herself to us. She handed us each a pass to stick on our shirt and we followed her to the elevator. She told the security officer at the elevator we were all going down. Lisa and I looked at each other knowing that "going down" was so much better than "going up" at that moment! The elevator door opened and we were being led down the cement corridors. We passed a door that said, "Elton John Band Member Dressing Room." We continued on and passed Elton John's guitarist.



We were stopped by security a couple of times but our escort and our passes got us through the checkpoints. Then Steve met us and took us out onto the concert floor. It was early and most of the seats were empty. He talked to us as we followed him toward the back of the floor away from the stage. He told us we would be sitting with Clive while he was working. We had no idea what Clive's job was so I asked. Steve said he was the sound engineer. Just then we arrived at the sound area. It was a good size area - an oasis of space and equipment in the middle of hundreds of folding chairs. There was a seat for Clive behind the sound mixing equipment and then two chairs for me and Lisa several feet behind Clive's. Steve talked to us a few more minutes about the concert. He told us he'd let Clive know we were here. Lisa and I gave Steve his chocolate and gift card and then he left. He came back a few minutes later and gave Lisa and I bottles of ice-water.

Clive arrived and said he was glad to see us. We thanked him profusely and gave him his chocolates and gift card. He promptly opened the chocolates and ate one. Then he opened the gift card envelope, stared at the gift card and asked what it was. We laughed and said it's a gift card to Starbucks. He said he loved Starbucks but what was he supposed to do with the card. (I guess they don't have gift cards in New Zealand.) I explained it to him and he said it was wonderful and thoughtful and kissed my cheek. He then talked to us about the complications of combining the sound of Billy and Elton together because they each have their own sound engineer and they each want to make their artist sound the best and loudest but after touring for over 10 years together, they have worked it all out. Clive said he has been working with Elton for 42 years.


Clive went to his seat, the lights went out, the crowd was screaming, music started playing, we all screamed louder and then two spotlights were shining down on the stage illuminating Billy Joel and Elton John.


I gasped with excitement. I had goosebumps. I couldn't believe I was standing there seeing it. I couldn't believe I had almost missed this. It was all so amazing. Lisa and I were in heaven and couldn't stop smiling and yelling. Clive kept smiling back at us and giving us the thumbs up! Billy and Elton sang 4 songs together. The sound was perfect - flawless! It was fascinating watching Clive at work. Then Billy left the stage and Elton performed for an hour. During Elton's performance, I knew I wanted to buy an overpriced program. I didn't ever want to forget this night. Ten minutes later, Steve walked into the sound booth and handed us each a program. Lisa and I couldn't believe it. The whole thing was too good to be true. Elton left the stage and Billy came on for an hour. I shouted to Lisa that when Billy sang "Piano Man" at the end of the concert I was going to walk up to the stage just to see Billy up close for 5 seconds, then circle around and come back to my seat. We felt pretty confidant I wouldn't get stopped by security because I had the pass stuck to my shirt. After almost 3 hours, and no intermission, the concert was winding down and Elton was back on the stage with Billy. I was getting nervous knowing they would be performing "Piano Man" together and it was almost time for me to make my way to the stage. Just as they finished "Benny and the Jetts" together, I made my move. I left my seat and headed straight towards the stage. My heart was racing. I had at least 150 feet to walk. Security wasn't stopping me. My confidence was growing as I kept walking. My eyes were focused on Billy singing at his piano. I kept walking faster, Billy was getting closer and closer. I just wanted to see him up close and I was going to turn right back around and go back to my seat. I made it to the very front row, I was mesmerized. He was right in front of me. He and Elton were singing "Candle in the Wind." I didn't want to go back to my seat. No one was telling me to go back to my seat. I turned to the right and walked to the end of the stage and stood next to a security guard. He didn't even glance at me. I stood there off to the side, 20 feet from Billy. I was studying the area on the floor right in front of Billy Joel. I knew I could walk over and stand right in front of him without blocking anyone's view.

I was getting ready to make my move when Clive came up to me. He said his job was done for the night. I thanked him for all he had done and he hugged me. I felt even more confidant knowing the front-row security guards saw Elton's sound engineer hug me. I walked along the front of the stage and stopped right in front of Billy Joel. I was standing on the floor looking up at him. He grabbed his harmonica and started playing "Piano Man." I was trying to take it all in. I was five feet from him watching him and listening to him sing and play his piano. I forgot Elton was even there. When it was Elton's turn to sing, Billy looked down at all of us standing in front of him. I was looking him right in the face. I wanted to freeze that moment. I knew it would go by too quickly and it did. The song ended, he and Elton took several bows and they left the stage. I had ten glorious minutes right in front of Billy Joel!


I have had a lot of fantastic experiences in my life but this is one of them at the very top of my list. My friend Angela and I talk about moments in our lives that we want to watch on video when we get to heaven. Mostly we want to watch our funniest and most embarrassing moments. But I am adding this spectacular, perfect night to my video play list. Of course, if it really is heaven, Billy will be singing and playing his piano when I arrive!

POSTSCRIPT: March 30, 2010
Lisa (my friend that went with me to the concert) called me from the dental office. She told me she just got a package in the mail and that there were two concert t-shirts and two concert tote bags. There was also an autographed picture of Elton John that said, "To Lisa, Love Elton J."  I was so thrilled for Lisa to get that picture - she is such a HUGE Elton fan. I rushed to the office to get my shirt and tote bag. Lisa and I couldn't believe how thoughtful Clive was to send us those things - six weeks after the concert he was still thinking of us!

3 comments:

  1. That is A-mazing! I'm so stoked for you! And I think it's so funny that Clive didn't know what a gift card was. We're such silly Americans.

    P.S. My friend just had a baby and named him Clive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No one will ever know but you and I, how amazing that night was! I think the best thing about it was that you are such a huge Billy Joel fan as I am a Elton John fan...both of us seeing our heart throbs in action and learning to appreciate the other because of what we saw in them. You are my favorite concert pal! I will never forget that night...EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU DIDN'T TELL ME ABOUT THIS!!!!!! SOOOOOO AWESOME!

    As I was reading, picturing you walking towards the stage transifixed, with such purpose, I was a little afraid you were going to jump up on the stage and grab Billy Joel and give him a big KISS and then get in trouble with security and Clive would be disappointed because he trusted you, so I was really relieved when you stopped and just enjoyed Billy singing from a safe, yet still very close, distance!

    But I think when I'm watching the movie in heaven with you I still might get nervous as you're walking towards the stage!

    SOOO AMAZING! I'm giddy for you just reading all about it!

    ReplyDelete